That's a very interesting name. He is known only as Dr. Wong at St. Mary's. Mom isn't nearly as happy with him today as she was last week. She was just sure there would be nothing to find and all would be well. He said there was blockage from the knees to the ankle on both legs. The blockage is "diffuse", to use his word. That means, no specific area of blockage, or blood clot, just a general narrowing of the artery in each leg gradually over time, from the knees to the ankles. So, she was right when she had said before that it was all just old age that was causing the problem.
He is specifically calling it PAD, or Peripheral Artery Disease. He had to hunt up a cholesterol test result while we were sitting there, probably went back to Dr. Wagner's records, because he had some trouble finding one. She has always had low cholesterol, but now it has reached up above where doctors like to see it. He said it has probably been high like that as long as she has been having problems with her legs. So, her medication is a medication like Plavix, but it is actually something different, to help the blood flow, and then a cholesterol medication. I will look up the name of the first medication and read up on it so I know what she is taking. The cholesterol medication is Lipitor. I am familiar with it, and had the serious side effects on that one, that a low percentage of people do, and I talked to Mom about that. There are others if it doesn't agree with her. If she has side effects she will know within a few days.
Now this is all a good thing, because he said medication is the only way to treat this, and so she dodges the bullit on having the angiogram and having a stint put in. He said it wouldn't do any good since there isn't any specific blockage. However, the last part of her treatment is physical therapy at the hospital three times a week. They are going to walk her and exercise her. She isn't a bit happy about that, and asked him what would happen if she didn't go to therapy. He regarded her question with a kind look that said to me, "lady you are going even if I have to take you myself", but instead he told her that her condition would worsen and she would lose what ability she had to walk distances that she has now, which isn't much. He told her the physical therapy is designed to work in concert with the medication. So, I think she is ok with it; at least she knows she has no choice and I joked with her that she and Dick will have to get scheduled on the same days and near the same time. Dick goes this Friday to finally get the sling off and will be scheduled for physical therapy at the same place, only he has to go for four months.
I am so pleased about this treatment for Mom I feel like God has intervened in her health for the future. You can't get her to go for a walk, let alone exercise, and she has been leading such a sedentary life. I knew it wasn't good for her, but I can barely do what I need to do for myself, so I didn't feel in a position to discuss with her what she wasn't doing. She is going to have more energy, more blood to the brain, more concentration, more ability to think and just be able to feel better. Getting out three days a week is a real good thing for her.
Well, that's about it. We go this Friday afternoon for the initial intake meeting with the physical therapist. I have plenty of books to read while waiting for her, so I never mind having to take her to an appointment. Good talking to all of you, sorry you didn't get a word in edgewise. Love to all. Jannice
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jannice,
ReplyDeleteThat is good news. We'll be praying. I have to make myself get out and walk, too. Living on a hill really gives you a workout.
Debbie
Great news, Jannice. Thanks --kb
ReplyDelete